The Ins and Outs of Roof Replacement Warranties Explained
The national average cost of a roof replacement is about $20,000 as of 2018. When you are spending that much money to safeguard your home and increase its value, it is nice to have some kind of protection for such an investment. So, what are some of the ins and outs of roof replacement warranties explained? With Roof Right, roofing contractors in Hampstead, Maryland, we can take a look.
Two Main Types of Roofing Warranties
Despite all the myriad of options that are seemingly out there for roofing warranties, there are really only two main categories to distinguish between manufacturer and contractor warranties. There are nuances to each one which is explained below.
- Manufacturer Warranties
The majority of roof warranties come from the manufacturer of your shingles. With the common asphalt shingle, you can expect a 25–30-year warranty (though there are sometimes options for 50 years and even lifetime coverage).
Typically, a basic manufacturer’s warranty will cover roofing materials. However, it’s important to note that when you go to submit a claim in the future, the prices will be prorated, and the cost of disposal won’t be covered.
Most important, basic manufacturer warranties don’t cover workmanship. For that, you would have to upgrade to an enhanced warranty.
- Contractor Warranties
In addition to a manufacturer warranty, contractors may offer some sort of coverage for workmanship.
The problem is that these guarantees look different from one contractor to the other. As you collect project proposals, it can be difficult to keep them straight. To get a clear understanding of contractor warranty coverage, you can:
- Request a written explanation of what’s covered and what’s not. If you can’t get this in writing, you may want to look elsewhere.
- Ask whether the warranty covers workmanship, materials, or both. In most cases, a contractor’s warranty will only cover workmanship.
- Research the credibility of a warranty by looking into the contractor’s history and track record.
Four Steps for Protecting Your Warranty
The last thing you would want to do is submit a claim to only find out the agreement is null and void.
In order to protect your coverage, follow these four steps:
- Get regular inspections: Inspecting the roof every one or two years allows your contractor to spot and fix any minor issues with vents, flashing, shingle damage, caulking deterioration, and more. When you stay ahead of repairs and damage you maintain your warranty coverage.
- Stay with your original contractor: Most contracts include language that voids the warranty when a separate company is hired to alter the original installation. Continuity helps original installers correct their own mistakes. Keeping a good contractor as a lifelong roofing partner will protect your investment and maintain warranty coverage.
- Register your warranty: Don’t forget to submit your warranty registration to the manufacturer. Without this, you might not have coverage at all.
- Read the fine print: Your contractor must be certified through the shingle manufacturer and be authorized to provide the specified warranty. Without that authorization, your warranty will be voided.
The bottom line is that your warranty is an insurance policy. It has lots of fine print that is important to understand if you need to submit a claim. As for clarification from your contractor on the fine print and make sure you can trust the workmanship before beginning a roof replacement project.
About Roof Right
At Roof Right we have realized customer service and trust are poorly lacking in the roofing industry. That is why our roofing company takes pride in our exceptional service which includes showing up when we say we will, providing a thorough 17-point inspection, listening to you so we can make a quick and thorough diagnosis of your roofing problem, and cleaning up after ourselves as we work. In addition to offering residential roofing services and roof repairs in Maryland. Roof Right is proud to offer the following services:
Roofing & Gutter Maintenance – Your roof, just like your car, should get routine inspections. Your roof gets more abuse from the elements than any other part of your home and preventative maintenance is a key element to
Skylights & Solatubes – Brighten your home with natural sunlight with skylights &
Gutters – Installing a new seamless gutter system is one of the most critical aspects of all home repairs. Improving the drainage around the home can have a significant impact on the stability of the foundation and the life of your home. Roof Right installs gutters and gutter guards that will efficiently channel water away from your home. Learn more about gutters.
Siding – Looking to add curb appeal along with improving your homes energy efficiency? No paint. No stain. No hassles. Vinyl siding delivers strength, durability, and beauty of real wood with a variety of design options and multiple color options. Based on an average size home, repainting can cost thousands of dollars every few years. Vinyl siding never needs painting, caulking or patching because, unlike wood, it won’t crack, peel, rot or split. Roof Right carries siding from the best manufacturers in the industry, including Mastic, CertainTeed, James Hardie. Learn more about siding.
Windows – Reduce your energy bills & increase the curb appeal of your home with energy efficient windows installed by Roof Right! There are hundreds of vinyl window brands on the market today – but they are not all created equal. Many ordinary vinyl windows are designed only for low cost, not for value. We install top-of-the-line, energy efficient windows for long-lasting great looks. We carry a wide selection of energy efficient products from trusted manufacturers. Learn more about windows.
Doors – Roof Right and ProVia® are dedicated to making entry doors the professional way. ProVia entry doors are energy efficient, built to quality standards and gives you many choices to entry-level doors that are sold through box stores. Roof Right installers have attended entry systems and storm door training with ProVia®. We have software that will allow you to build your new entry door on our computer so you can see the many different options and price ranges available. ProVia® builds
Decks & Patios – We can help you design a deck for your home that can bring you many years of enjoyment and improve your home’s value. Let us guide you through the design and construction of your dream deck. From designing the deck for your needs and