A window that refuses to stay up can be a source of frustration and inconvenience. Not only is it annoying, but it can also be a safety concern. If you’re facing this issue, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. In this guide, we will walk you through the causes of a malfunctioning window and provide step-by-step instructions on how to fix a window that won’t stay up. If you ever find yourself in need of professional assistance for window installation or repair, remember that Roof Right is here to help. They’ve been serving Maryland homeowners since 1994, providing top-notch services for all your roofing and window needs.
What Causes a Window to Fail?
Before we dive into the solution, let’s explore some common reasons why windows fail to stay up:
Improper installation is a leading cause of premature window failure. Window installation is a delicate process that requires skill, training, and specialized tools. Even a small mistake during installation can lead to a host of problems.
Impacts from various sources, such as accidents or weather, can cause significant damage to windows. Broken glass or a damaged frame compromises a window’s efficiency, safety, and durability.
Neglected Cleaning and Maintenance
Improper cleaning and maintenance can harm window frames, seals, and glass. Using harsh chemicals, power washers, or abrasives can accelerate wear and tear, reducing a window’s lifespan.
Moisture is the enemy of building materials. If your windows develop leaks, water can infiltrate the walls, flooring, or basement, leading to substantial damage.
Fluctuations in temperature cause window materials to expand and contract. In areas with extreme temperature changes, this can result in broken seals and window leaks.
Outdated Window Technology
Older windows lack modern technologies, such as advanced weather stripping, special glass coatings, and noble gases between panes. These new technologies enhance the efficiency and durability of modern windows.
Age, Wear and Tear
The passage of time and regular use also contribute to window failure. Proper care and maintenance can extend a window’s lifespan, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
How to Fix a Window That Won’t Stay Up
A window that won’t stay up is usually due to an issue with the balancing mechanisms. Here’s how to fix it:
Fixing a Window That Won’t Stay Up
- Tilt the window sash inward to a 90-degree position.
- The sash should release from the jambs.
- Inspect both pivot bars for wear, damage, or twisting.
- If a pivot bar is damaged, remove it and purchase a replacement from a local window supply company.
- If pivot bars are fine, inspect the shoes, which are located inside the jamb grooves on both sides of the window.
- The shoes should be positioned about halfway up the jambs, where an open sash would sit.
- If a shoe has slipped to the bottom or is very low, it needs repositioning.
- A shoe may be plastic or metal with a U-shaped slot. When locked, the U faces upward.
- Insert a screwdriver into the slot and turn it 1/4 turn to make the U face sideways.
- Slide the shoe to the proper location and lock it.
- Return the sash to the jamb and test its performance.
- If a shoe is broken, purchase a replacement part from a local window supply company.
- If neither pivot bars nor shoes show issues, the internal mechanisms of the window may have failed, and it needs replacement.
Why Choose Roof Right for Your Window Installation & Repair Needs in Maryland
When it comes to window installation and repair in Maryland, Roof Right stands out for several compelling reasons:
- Fully Licensed & Insured.
- A+ Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau.
- Recognized as the 80th largest replacement contractor in the United States by Remodeling Magazine.
- Consistently awarded Angie’s Super Service Award from 2007 to the present.
- Home Advisor Screened & Approved with an Elite Service Rating.
- Boasts a 98% overall customer satisfaction rating based on an independent survey conducted by a respected third-party, Guild Quality.
- Provides references from previous customers, banks, and vendors.
- Offers before and after photos of their work.
- Unparalleled service, with a member of management always available via phone, even after hours.
- 100% financing available with approved credit.
When you choose Roof Right for your window installation and repair needs, you’re choosing a company with a solid reputation and a commitment to excellence.