Best type of roofs in Carroll County
Updating your existing roof allows you to add value to your home and communicate your home’s look and feel. While the framing of the roof, preparation and proper installation are always going to be important, the material you choose for your roof can bring the exterior of your home to the next level. So, you might wonder what are the best types of roofs in Carroll County? Well, with the expert guidance of Roof Right, a roofing contractor in Hampstead, Maryland, we can look at a few here today.
Asphalt/Fiberglass Composition Shingles
Over 75 percent of all single-family homes in the US are covered with asphalt shingles. They are so dominant in the marketplace because they are affordable, offer a variety of options, and do a good job at protecting the home from the elements.
There are two main types:
- Fiberglass shingles start with a fiberglass mesh mat that is covered in asphalt and then topped with granules that provide color as well as reflecting some of the sunlight. These shingles are lightweight and resist tearing.
- Old-school organic asphalt shingles (almost non-existent today) would normally have paper, saturated in asphalt and covered with granules. These shingles are heavier and harder to work with than fiberglass, but they offer better stability in high winds. These have mainly been phased out though because of their tendency to dry out, become less waterproof and more prone to moisture absorption.
- Good fire protection
- Look good on most any style home
- The lifetime cost is higher than metal, tile or slate, because the shingles must be replaced more frequently
- Cheaper or low-end shingles may last only 10-15 years in hot and sunny climates like Arizona or Texas
- After a second layer of shingles needs replacing, all layers must be torn off, creating extra expense and a lot of potential landfill waste
Wood Shingles and Shakes
Wood delivers a natural beauty to any roof. Cedar, redwood, cypress, and pressure treated pine shingles and or shakes are available.
Differences between wood shingles and shakes:
- Wood shingles are machine cut and feature cleaner edges to produce a more uniform appearance.
- Wood shakes are hand cut from blocks of wood, so they have a more rustic appearance. They are thicker too.
Advantages of wood shingles and shakes:
- Wood has a natural beauty to it
- Cedar and redwood contain oils that make them naturally resistant to moisture and insects
- Treated wood shingles have a Class A fire rating
- They can last 5 to 10 years longer than asphalt when properly maintained, which makes them competitively priced with asphalt over their lifespan
Disadvantages of wood shingles and shakes:
- Wood roofing is prohibited in some areas prone to wildfires
- Untreated wood shakes and shingles are high maintenance, needing cleaning consistently to prevent the growth of algae or moss
- Wood is durable, but repairs will be expensive if they are required
Natural Stone Slate and Composite Slate
Some European structures have natural slate tile roofs that are centuries old, composite or vinyl slate tile is expected to last 40-60 years.
Natural slate tiles are the most durable roof that you can put on a building, but the material is heavy and often requires additional and costly support. With synthetic composite slate and shake tiles they maintain the same look, while having a lower cost/lighter weight.
Advantages of slate:
- They look gorgeous
- Genuine slate is a “lifetime” roof for any building
- Requires little maintenance
- Synthetic slate is lightweight yet strong
Disadvantages of slate:
- Genuine slate is the heaviest roofing material at up to 1,500lbs per 100 square feet, so extra framing support is necessary
- If slate isn’t properly installed, moisture issues will start quickly
- Slate requires contractors that specialize in the slate roof installation process
About Roof Right
At Roof Right we have realized customer service and trust are poorly lacking in the roofing industry. That is why our roofing company takes pride in our exceptional service which includes showing up when we say we will, providing a thorough 17-point inspection, listening to you so we can make a quick and thorough diagnosis of your roofing problem, and cleaning up after ourselves as we work. In addition to offering residential roofing services and roof repairs in Maryland. Roof Right is proud to offer the following services:
Roofing & Gutter Maintenance – Your roof, just like your car, should get routine inspections. Your roof gets more abuse from the elements than any other part of your home and preventative maintenance is a key element to
Skylights & Solatubes – Brighten your home with natural sunlight with skylights &
Gutters – Installing a new seamless gutter system is one of the most critical aspects of all home repairs. Improving the drainage around the home can have a significant impact on the stability of the foundation and the life of your home. Roof Right installs gutters and gutter guards that will efficiently channel water away from your home. Learn more about gutters.
Siding – Looking to add curb appeal along with improving your homes energy efficiency? No paint. No stain. No hassles. Vinyl siding delivers strength, durability, and beauty of real wood with a variety of design options and multiple color options. Based on an average size home, repainting can cost thousands of dollars every few years. Vinyl siding never needs painting, caulking or patching because, unlike wood, it won’t crack, peel, rot or split. Roof Right carries siding from the best manufacturers in the industry, including Mastic, CertainTeed, James Hardie. Learn more about siding.
Windows – Reduce your energy bills & increase the curb appeal of your home with energy efficient windows installed by Roof Right! There are hundreds of vinyl window brands on the market today – but they are not all created equal. Many ordinary vinyl windows are designed only for low cost, not for value. We install top-of-the-line, energy efficient windows for long-lasting great looks. We carry a wide selection of energy efficient products from trusted manufacturers. Learn more about windows.
Doors – Roof Right and ProVia® are dedicated to making entry doors the professional way. ProVia entry doors are energy efficient, built to quality standards and gives you many choices to entry-level doors that are sold through box stores. Roof Right installers have attended entry systems and storm door training with ProVia®. We have software that will allow you to build your new entry door on our computer so you can see the many different options and price ranges available. ProVia® builds
Decks & Patios – We can help you design a deck for your home that can bring you many years of enjoyment and improve your home’s value. Let us guide you through the design and construction of your dream deck. From designing the deck for your needs and