A sturdy roof is the backbone of your home’s protection against the elements. It shields you from rain, snow, and the scorching sun. However, the reliability of your roof can be compromised by a seemingly inconspicuous issue known as a roof nail pop. In this article, we’ll delve into what roof nail pops are, why they occur, and, most importantly, how you can fix them. If you ever encounter a roof problem, don’t hesitate to contact Roof Right, a trusted family-owned roofing company serving Maryland homeowners since 1994. We are here to ensure your roof is in top-notch condition and ready to weather any storm.
What are Roof Nail Pops?
Before we delve into the intricacies of fixing roof nail pops, let’s understand what they are. Every asphalt roof comprises individual shingles that are secured to the roof decking using nails. Ideally, roofing contractors use long ring shank nails, featuring rings around the shank for grip and a flat nail head to prevent water infiltration.
Roof nail pops happen due to moisture infiltration around the shingle nail. This moisture intrusion can lead to two primary issues:
- Expansion of Wood Sheathing: Moisture seeping into the wood sheathing can cause it to expand, pushing the nail upward.
- Nail Shank Wear: The rings around the nail shank may wear down and rust off, leaving the nail smooth and causing it to lift upward.
As the nail pushes upward, it ‘pops’ out and pushes against the shingle or other roofing components. This issue isn’t limited to shingles; it can also affect flashing, vents, and boots.
What Causes Roof Nail Pops?
Roof nail pops are primarily a result of improper roof installation. Let’s examine some of the common reasons behind this issue:
- Improper Nailing: Nails should be driven straight into the shingle to create a seal with the flat nail head. Crooked nails won’t create a proper seal, allowing water to seep under the shingle during rain.
- Wrong Nails: Using the wrong type of nails can lead to nail pops. Long nails with a ring shank are essential for a secure roof. Short nails won’t penetrate the sheathing enough, and smooth shank nails can easily come loose.
- Damaged Sheathing: Roof sheathing serves as the base for the shingles to nail into. If the sheathing is in poor condition, it won’t securely hold the nails. Rotted or overly perforated sheathing can result in nail pops.
- Inadequate Attic Ventilation: Poor attic ventilation can lead to nail pops. Inadequate ventilation can cause sheathing boards to swell, expand, and contract, pushing up loose or smooth shingle nails.
Why are Roof Nail Pops Bad For Your Home?
Now, let’s explore why roof nail pops are detrimental to your home:
- Shingle Damage: As the nail pushes the shingle upward, it loosens the shingle and breaks the sealant bond between shingles. Over time, this can cause shingles to flap, loosen, and potentially blow off in strong winds.
- Leakage: When the shingle lifts up, wind-driven rain can infiltrate through the nail hole, potentially causing sheathing rot or visible ceiling leaks.
- Structural Damage: Even if the nail doesn’t push up the shingle, it can break through it, creating a vulnerability for rainwater to enter.
How to Fix Roof Nail Pops
To address roof nail pops, professionals carefully lift the affected shingle, assess for damage, and replace the nail causing the issue. A new ring shank nail is driven into the shingle in a new location, and roof sealant is applied to reseal it. If the shingle is damaged, it is replaced. This repair is best handled by experts to ensure a secure, long-lasting fix.
Why Choose Roof Right for Your Roofing Needs in Maryland
When it comes to your home’s roofing installation and repair needs in Maryland, Roof Right is your trusted partner. Here’s why you should choose us:
- Fully Licensed & Insured.
- A+ Accredited Member of the Better Business Bureau.
- Recognized as the 80th largest replacement contractor in the United States by Remodeling Magazine.
- Consistent recipient of Angie’s Super Service Award since 2007.
- Home Advisor Screened & Approved with an Elite Service Rating.
- 98% overall customer satisfaction rating based on independent surveys.
- Previous customer, bank, and vendor references available.
- Before & after photos provided for your work.
- Always accessible management for your inquiries, even after hours.
- 100% financing available with approved credit.
Your home deserves the best, and Roof Right delivers top-quality service and peace of mind. Don’t hesitate to contact us for all your roofing and window needs in Maryland. Your home’s protection is our priority.